Archive for the ‘Accommodations’ Category
The Westmount Long Term Care Facility opened in 2002. Located at 200 David Bergey Drive in Kitchener, it is one of the newer nursing homes in the region. A new retirement home is under construction next to the current long term care building. It is next to the Laurentian Wetland which has been featured in several post on this site. (map)
I drove back to Kitchener through Maryhill again after visiting Guelph Lake Conservation Area. Maryhill is within the boundary of Waterloo Region but is very close to the Wellington County line. The Maryhill Inn was built in 1850 and was renovated by the current owners who bought it in 2000. It operates as a bed and breakfast and has a number of well appointed rooms. The Maryhill Inn website offers more information on its history as well as picture tours of the interior and booking information.
Located at the corner of King and Queen Streets in downtown Kitchener, the historic Walper Terrance Hotel has been in business since 1820. The original building burned in 1892 and this one was built the following year. It did close for three years in 1979 but was purchased and restored by Fred Lafontaine. The hotel was sold to the current owners in 1992. You can read more about the history of the Walper on their website.
The Speed River goes through the heart of downtown Hespeler (Cambridge) on its journey toward the Grand River. Many historic industrial buildings are built along the river. The following information comes from the RiverBank Lofts website.
“Industrialist Jacob Hespeler built his first stone building on the site in 1847, and most of the rest of the complex within 20 years. The dam by the old factory held back water to power the flour mill, distillery, wool and cotton-making operations.
The plant became a sink factory in 1913, as Stamped and Enamelled Ware Ltd. American Standard bought the company in 1969. The factory closed Sept. 13, 2007.
The massive stone walls and wooden beams of the original factories will be used in the living spaces of the complex. Solar panels will produce electricity. Fahel said the project will showcase environmental sustainability.”
The Bread and Roses Cooperative was established in 1990 and includes a provincially designated heritage building. The heritage building at the corner of Queen and Courtland is one of the most significant heritage landmarks in Kitchener and is the only remaining industrial building in Kitchener with a peaked roof.
The heritage building was built in 1879 by Emil Vogelsang as a button factory. The factory was called the Canadian Ivory Button Works, and was the last of 4 button factories built by Mr. Vogelsang. In 1884 the factory was taken over by the shirt manufacturers, Greene and Rome. They built an addition to the original structure in 1893. The building was used as a barracks during WW 1, and was sold to the Rumpel Felt Comany in 1919, who built the third structure. Over the years, other industries occupied the building, including a mattress factory and an electrical supply company, MacDonald Westburne Electric.
(Information from the Bread and Roses Cooperative Housing website)