Archive for the ‘Wilmot Township’ Category
The Laepples had an open house and the 8th Annual Potatofest at their farm on Bleams Road just outside Shingletown last Saturday. They produce and sell grass-fed beef and potatoes. Visitors could take a tractor ride to the potato field and then do some digging. I bought fresh green beans, beets, carrots and cantaloupe from another farmer who had a booth set up at the event.
Check out Waterloo Region’s Foodlink for more information on finding local foods.
2070 Snyder’s Road East Petersburg, Ontario N0B 2H0
We have attended a number of banquets and events here over the years. Here is some history of the building and the business from their website.
“Angie’s truly is a family business. In 1962, Bill and Angie Graham converted the front part of their home into a diner which seated 32. In those days, Snider’s Flour Milling Company and Waterloo Manufacturing were located behind the house, where Waterloo Town Square is now located. Two years after starting the business, Bill Graham lost his life in a tragic accident leaving Angie with five children ranging in age from 6 to 16. Angie continued to raise a family and run the business. The business expanded into a living and dining room, kitchen and sun porch of the original home. In 1971, Teresa and Michael purchased the business. The business flourished and Angie’s Country Kitchen in St. Agatha was opened in 1976. This building was formerly a hotel called the Traveler’s Rest and dates back to 1854. The exterior has been restored and the hand hewn beams with wooden dowels in the banquet room have been preserved to compliment the early Canadian decor.
Angie passed away November 2, 1997 but the business and her legacy continue as Teresa, Michael and Angie’s grandchildren continue to serve hearty country style meals with all the trimmings.”
Today is Friday the 13th and I have no pictures of people travelling by motorcycle to Port Dover. Instead, here is a historic cemetery in St. Agatha in Wilmot Township. The history of the community is interesting and the town became a centre for Roman Catholics in Waterloo Region in the 19th century.
The Shrine of the Sorrowful Mother (est. 1859) stands in a very old cemetery. Underneath the floor of the shrine is a crypt with relics and tombs which are visible through ground level windows. This is a place of pilgrimage for some devout Catholics. (map)
We visited the New Hamburg Mennonite Relief Sale on Friday evening, sampled some food and looked at the beautiful donated quilts which will be auctioned on Saturday. This annual event is famous for its quilts and its strawberry pies but there are many other things to enjoy. There were no fresh strawberry pies on Friday, but thousands will be made and sold today. The following information is copied from the event website.
“The New Hamburg Mennonite Relief Sale takes place every year on the last Friday and Saturday of May. It hosts over 40 venues with an estimated 2000 volunteers donating their time and expertise while demonstrating their passion for assisting others in need.
The Relief Sale was started in 1967 by individuals from Mennonite churches in southwestern-Ontario in response to the ever-growing world-wide need for relief from hunger, poverty and natural disaster and for development and peace-building activities. All merchandise and services are donated which means all funds raised on sale days are donated directly to Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), a not-for-profit relief, service and development and peace agency of the Mennonite and Brethren in Christ churches in North America. MCC seeks to demonstrate God’s love by working among people around the world suffering from poverty, conflict, oppression and natural disaster. Started in 1920 in response to hunger in the Ukraine, MCC strives for peace, justice and dignity of all people.
Many people contribute to the success of the sale: donors of goods and services, supporting church congregations, auctioneers, venue coordinators and volunteers as well as the thousands of visitors from a wide geographic region who purchase the merchandise. Annual revenue from the Sale has been well in excess of $300,000 for more than 25 years. Since 1967, over 14 million dollars have been raised.
The sale attracts visitors annually because it is entertaining while raising money for a worthwhile cause. People come year-after-year because they know that the event is run exclusively by volunteers with a passion for the sale and its good work and that all of the money goes to MCC.”
Location: New Hamburg Fair Grounds (map)
This railway station was constructed in Petersburg, Wilmot Township in 1856 and was owned by the Grand Trunk Railway. It has been at Doon Heritage Crossroads for a few decades. The new museum is built so the two main hallways line up with Waterloo Region’s major transportation routes of the 19th century. The tracks from the station continue right into the museum where they intersect with the corridor which lines up with Huron Road. The two bottom pictures in the collage below were taken inside the Waterloo Region Museum.
I like this picturesque church, especially in the evening when the sun it setting. Here is some historical information copied from the church website.
“St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church was established in Mannheim, Ontario in 1848. We are a church with a long history and a strong sense of mission. Our congregation was once a village church which largely served German immigrant farmers. Today, most of our members drive a short distance from Kitchener and environs to our church. Our congregation is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (www.elcic.ca), which has nearly 300,000 members across Canada. Our national church is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, which has nearly 60 million members worldwide (www.lutheranworld.org). Recently, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada signed the Waterloo Declaration with the Anglican Church of Canada (www.anglican.ca). This allows our members to share and join in full communion together, to transfer membership across our two denominations and even provides for the possibility of pastoral ministers serving in the denomination of our partner church. St. James – Mannheim, along with St. James – New Dundee has a partnership relationship with St. George’s Anglican of Forest Hill in Kitchener.”